Sunday, March 9, 2008

Recognition of Foreign Adoption

Noelle just got her citizenship papers so it's now time for us to get her social security card, passport and a new birth certificate. We were told to contact an adoption lawyer and they would help us with all the legal ins and outs of doing a re-adoption. We don't need to do this because she is legally our daughter in both China and the United States eyes. This is something we planned on doing so that she would be issued at new birth certificate. It will have her new name and our names on it as her parents.

When I called the lawyer and asked what was involved with doing a re-adopt she was very friendly and answered all my questions. She told me her cost for filling out the necessary paperwork would be $500.00 plus we needed to pay 65.00 for the filing fee and 15.00 for the new birth certificate.

I asked her if it was possible for me to fill out the paper work and file it with the court myself or if it needed to be done by a lawyer. I wasn't sure how complicated it would be. She told me that most families find it easier to just use a lawyer, but if I wanted to try I could. I got the impression from her that it was time consuming and that I would have to sort through many papers. Well, I did my dossier myself and really enjoyed hunting down the documents and putting it together. There were times I had to do some digging, or had to make numerous phone calls, but I enjoyed doing it and I felt up to the challenge.

On Friday I made my way to the probate court and ask them for the papers needed to file for a recognition of foreign adoption. She quickly pulled out two pieces of paper that looked like a very simple application and told me it would cost 1.00. She said when I filed the fee would be 65.00 and 15.00 for the birth certificate.

My point to this whole story is if I hadn't asked if I could do it myself we would have paid 500.00 for this lady to fill out 2 SIMPLE forms that anyone could do! I saved 499.00 dollars!!!!! If you have or are adopting go to your probate court in your county and ask for the forms to do a recognition of foreign adoption and save yourself LOTS of money! The cost range for a lawyer to do this varies from state to state the range is 500.00 to 1500.00!

Happy filing!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Good to know, now I just hope I remember I know when it is our turn ;)

ForTheLoveOfOrphans said...

Why would you have to re-adopt? Both parents traveled!!!! We too are headed to the court for the "recognition of a foreign adoption" but it is NOT to re-adopt. Only to let the judge see our paperwork and say "yep, it's legal, an adoption did occur...now go get a birth certificate."

Glad you found out sooner than later!

I love the cartoon, too. I'm stealing it - hope you don't mind?? I loved it!